Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's that time of year again

I've got a bunch of these babies growing in my back yard. :-) I say that smiling now, but that's only because the picking season has just begun. These pretties need to be picked at least every two days and after a month of doing that, the chore is actually quite tedious. by the end, I'll be begging people to come and pick them. I just hate to see any go to waste! It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to wait until dusk to make sure all the bee's that habitat them during the day have returned back to their home sweet hive (I had a bad experience last year involving bee's, raspberries and my pants, don't want to relive that). Also, can't forget the fact that they are not thorn free, and my legs and arms get mutilated during the picking process. Wear long sleeves you say? Hmmm... not a bad idea ;-).
Anyway, as much work as they are, how could I NOT be grateful the rest of the year when I have frozen raspberries on hand constantly for whatever I may need, and also the deeeeelish jam that we get to enjoy! I will never buy store bought again. Nothing compares!!!
So here it is... my first batch of many of the season!!!
There is something so rewarding about making your own food storage from your own back yard. My tomatoes are coming on now, so I'll be in full canning mode in the next two weeks. My feet are going to hate me, but our stomachs will love me for the next year :-).

5 comments:

Jess said...

Keri- you rock! It looks delicious.
All of your jars are so pretty lined up like that.

Lisa R said...

I would come and eat them all for you! YUMMY!

Emily and Steve said...

Awww, I miss our raspberries out in the backyard at my parent's house! We would eat those all summer long. RAspberries don't grow around here like they do there and I miss it! I wish I could come and pick your raspberries at the end of the season! Oh well...ENJOY the fruits of your labor! :)

Em said...

Seriously,im going to need help.

the larsons said...

Seriously... I am so jealous! I miss the bags o' berries you used to bring to me:) Looks delish! I can't believe you are doing all of that while pregnant.. you are awesome!