Have you ever had Red Lobsters Parrot Bay Coconut Shrimp? If you haven't, you're totally missing out. It's one of my favorite things ever! So guess what? I found a recipe to make it, and it taste every bit as good. And lucky for you, I'm going to share it so you can all taste the goodness. I wish I would have taken pictures so you could all see what it turned out like. But I'm telling you, it's GOOD!
Ingredients:
1 Egg
1/2 cup Flour
2/3 Cup Beer (Yum!) just kiddin!
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 Cup Flour (yes I know it's the second time on here)
2 Cups flaked Coconut
1 lb of shrimp (or more, I had extra batter)
Oil for frying (I like to use extra virgin Olive)
Directions:
In a bowl, combine the egg, 1/2 cup of flour, beer and baking powder. Mix it up.
Place 1/4 cup of flour in a small bowl, and the 2 cups of coconut in another small bowl.
Hold the shrimp by the tail and dredge in flour, shake of excess, then dip in batter, let excess drip off, then roll through the coconut. Place the shrimp on a pan with wax paper.
Once done, place the shrimp in the refrigerator for an hour to chill. (It helps the coconut stay on better when frying)
Take an electric skillet and cover the bottom with oil (maybe 1-2 cups). Heat the oil to 350. (Can use any pan you want, just make sure the oil doesn't get too hot)
Cook the shrimp for a couple minutes on both sides until golden brown and crunchy. Use tongs to remove shrimp to paper towels so the excess oil will drain. Serve warm.
We also made a great dipping sauce. It may sound gross, but it's actually REALLY good and I'm really picky, so that's saying something for me!
Dipping Sauce
1/2 cup of Orange Marmalade
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp horse radish sauce
1/2 tsp honey
Mix together and whallaaaa! You have your dipping sauce.
I hope you are brave enough to try these and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Note: I used large shrimp from the Sunflower Market (It's on sale this week for $2.97 a LB!)
But it did take me a while because they were not the Jumbo's. So keep in mind, the bigger the shrimp, the less time it will take to prepare it.
3 comments:
Oh my gosh, it sounded great until you got to the dipping sauce part. That does sound kind of gross, but I'll take your word for it that it's good. Interesting recipe! :)
And you keep telling me that you are boring in what you cook. Beer battered Coconut shrimp? That doesn't sound boring to me! Yummy!
You are brave. These sound good. I really need to go to Sunflowers Market. It sounds like they have awesome deals. If only it was closer.
Post a Comment