Monday, April 12, 2010

Sleeping troubles

How does one convert their toddler to a bed from crib??? Seriously, how is it done?
We converted Maddie's crib to a toddler bed yesterday. Naps are no more. She refuses to sleep in it now. She loves to jump and climb in it, just won't sleep in it. Today was the same thing. I fought with her for over 2 and a 1/2 hours to take a nap, and she wouldn't unless I sat in the rocker and held her. So I tried that and as soon as she was asleep I would lay her down and up she would be again. Jeff is having the same problem getting her to bed tonight. He's been in there with her for well over an hour. I'm really starting to wonder if this is worth it. Maybe we should just switch back again. I can't handle having to hold her for her naps when I have to try to work in those hours of the day. Last night went okay, but I'm really dreading tonight. I guess we will see how it goes and the rail may have to come back out. Wish us luck!

5 comments:

Lisa R said...

Oh just have one of you fall down the stairs with her, knock out a couple front teeth that need to be removed and and then get stitched up at Primary Children's and then her not able to have a binki, or bottle. Then said child jumps out of the crib and HAS to be moved to a real bed. Proceed to have them scream for 3 days straight and no sleep for either of you and voila' you have a bed trained kid...
Of course that is what happened to Christian.

No seriously though the way we finished getting Christian to stay in his bed is to explain to him simply that bed time is just that, time to be in the bed and that we were going to put him in, leave and every time he left just keep going back and putting him in the bed without saying/doing anything else. The more emotion and attention they get (ie being held for an hour or even scolding for not staying in bed) the more they will try and leave the bed. It really only takes about 3-5 nights of repeating this. Of course it didn't fully work all the time, but it does help a lot. The other thing you can do is put up a baby gate and just let them stay in their room.
Naps are a lot harder. Aricin well he just quit taking naps at 2. She may be getting ready to drop her nap especially if she is going to bed later at night because of it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck girl, I feel your pain!

Jess said...

So sorry that you are at this stage- Em decided to monkey flip out of the crib at 18 months- so I'm not the best source of advice for that. Good luck!

Em said...

seriously, give it a week before you quit. stay strong!!! they can smell it when you're unsure;-)

Deb said...

We tried putting Cooper in bed every time he got out and that didn't work. We tried the baby gate to keep him in there and let him cry himself to sleep. For me personally I realized that these moments pass all too quickly and I won't get any moments back so we let him fall asleep in our bed and then we put him in his bed. Yes, EVERY NIGHT. Then we double baby gate his room to keep him from waking up and wandering around at night. At first it was the single gate then he learned to climb over that so now I put another gate on top of that one. I know letting him fall asleep in our bed is considered to some as a huge mistake but to me personally it just isn't that big of a deal. He won't be little forever! You guys will figure out what works for you! Good luck! :)

Karissa said...

Let see, no advice from me except the advice I got from my friend. If they are not climbing out of the crib let them stay in it as long as possible. So far its working with Ayden :)
Good luck with Maddie and the toddler bed. You can teach me how its done when were ready :) You'll be a professional by then. Love ya!