Thursday, April 1, 2010

Hello, my name is Madison and I'm deathly afraid of.... bugs!

 Bugs, insects, creepy crawly flying things.... Whatever. You name it, she's scared of it.
It's odd. She's never been bitten, stung or anything. I don't know where this phobia came from. But it came.
It would almost be funny, if it wasn't so scary for her. If a bee (or even a fly) starts buzzing around her, she goes in to this seizure type fit, where she is doing this weird dance and screaming. She makes a mad dash for me and cries for the next couple of minutes.
We try to pick up bugs and show them to her to let her know that they are not all scary. But she wants nothing to do with it. The other day she was playing on her slide out back, when a box elder bug landed on her slide. She was half way down it when she spotted it and she tried to bail off the side of the slide. It was so funny!
Walking home from Church on sunday, the side walk has box elder bugs (popular bugs around here) all over it. She made Jeff pick her up and carry her. I just don't get it.
What makes some kids love them and some hate them? I guess it's the same with adults. Some don't mind them, and some can't stand them.
I remember when I was a kid, my Nan (Mom's mom) came over to visit from England. She is deathly afraid of bees. A bee got in the house and she actually jumped on the kitchen table shrieking all sorts of profanities and swinging a chair around. Coming from a house that swearing was prohibited, we were all quite amused. So amused, that it's one of my most fond memories of Nanny :-)
My sister Kailey also has this phobia (I wonder if it's passed down genetically?) I've witnessed on several occasions her dropping or trampling one of her own children to get away from a bee or wasp. It's like, survival mode kicks in and nothing else matters but getting as far away from that bee as possible. It's really hilarious to watch. Now that her kids are older, they are always playing tricks on her and yelling "Mom there's a wasp by your head!"  just to see this panic set in and watch her run in to a wall or something. It's awesome!
But yeah,...anyway... This summer should be really fun for us. We have a large raspberry patch in the back yard that the bee's just seem to love. So we never have a shortage of bee's in the later summer. I wonder if I'll be able to get Mads to play outside ever again??

3 comments:

Kailey said...

"Mom, Keri is telling my secrets!!"
;-)

Jess said...

Emma used to call those bugs 'pets'- and your grandma story was so funny I nearly peed my pants laughing.

Em said...

bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol, poor maddie!
brennan is now afraid of anything that moves at him and dogs. it might just all be related to dogs. i'm still not sure.