Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Donut Falls Hike

After living in Utah all my life I have never ever hiked to Donut falls. This is such an easy hike that I think everyone and their dog have hiked it. Well, not me. I was telling this to Jeff the other day and we decided on the spot to go hike to the falls. We packed a back pack and the baby and off we went.

I was surprised at how many people were on the trail. We even had a hard time finding a place to park. The hike was pretty easy, even for a wimp like me. Madison absolutely loved it! She was such a trooper. She loves being out doors and she was defiantly in her element. She didn't make a peep the whole way up.


It took us about 20 minutes with my slow pace to make it to the falls. When we got there it had been a few hours since the baby ate and we decided to feed her so that we didn't have a screaming baby on the way down, but she was having such a good time that she didn't want to have to try to focus on a bottle and we soon gave up.

On the way back down we found a mama moose and her TWO babies off to the side of the trail. Don't worry, we kept our distance, but I did get a cool picture. I think that it's really unusual for an animal that big to have two babies. It was really cool to see.

We got back to the car and baby had so much fun that she totally conked. We will have to go on more fun adventures before the end of summer.

4 comments:

Kailey said...

Well, we found out a couple of years back that when there is two feet of snow still on the ground...Donut Falls is NOT an easy hike. I think we have been back a couple of times since then, but never too early in the season.
Now Maddie not WANTING to eat??? That is a little odd. She seems to enjoy the "off-white" stuff A LOT. She must of really liked the NATURE.

Lisa R said...

Wow fun hike! You are so lucky to be so near the mountains! I love that you saw a moose with babies too! Awesome!
Maddie must of had a great time!

Reading Family said...

I just noticed that Madiso is just like her father...wet spots on shirts...that must be where she got that from. Sounds like you had fun! One of these days we will hike it too.

Anonymous said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. I'm so jealous that you live so close to the mountains! That's what I miss the most (well, next to family of course) about Utah. But when we visited this summer we did drive through the mountains and "hike" that small stream/waterfall by the "S" curve. That's an easy one if you are wearing sandals! :)

Anyway, glad to hear you had so much fun. And glad that Madison is loving the beautiful mountains as well. Make her a little crunchy baby! :)