I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to do an update since I've been home. Life has been a total roller coaster for me this last week. My days are flying by with no time to spare. By the time I get the kids and myself fed, dressed and ready for the day it's noon and time for Maddie's nap. We are all going a little stir crazy being stuck in doors and at home. Hopefully we will fall in to a routine soon.
Max has been an excellent baby so far. He pretty much sleeps all the time. He's very different from Maddie, so it's a whole new experience.
My hospital experience with his birth was not really a good one unfortunately. I had my surgery set for 7:30AM on Monday the 8th. We were there at 6:00 so I could get prepped for surgery. By the time my Dr showed up it was nearly 8:00AM. I had the spinal, and they got started. I was feeling fine at first, than all of the sudden I felt horrible. The drugs from the spinal made me horribly sick. Having your stomach wide open and throwing up at the same time was not a pleasant experience. For the last couple of weeks of pregnancy, I had really intense pelvic pressure. My Dr. just said that the baby had dropped really really low in to my pelvis. Well, once they got to the baby, it turns out that he was wedged pretty good in my pelvis. It took some hard pushing and pulling to get him out of there. It was very uncomfortable for me. When they finally got him out, he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his new twice and during the process of trying to get him out, it had tightened and completely cut off his air. He was completely unconscious and purple by the time they got him out. I had no clue what was happening, since I couldn't see anything. All I knew was that the baby was out and he was not crying. My dr kept reassuring me that they'd get him crying soon and to not stress about it. Jeff left me and went to be with Max. After more than two minutes he finally took his first breath and started crying. He was 7 lbs 2 Oz and 20 inches long. They let Jeff hold him up to me for a split second and snap a quick picture then they rushed him out to have respiratory therapy, since he still was not breathing regularly. He was horribly swollen and purple and bruised. It was well over two hours until I really got to meet him. His blood sugar was really low, so they had to keep him in the nursery until they could get it up. But finally they let me have my baby.
Jeff told me that he was scared to death while they were trying to revive him. He said that for a couple minutes it did not look good and he didn't even know if he should be taking pictures of him. I'm actually grateful that I didn't know what was happening and how serious was. It would have made waiting that much worse.
My Dr. told me that he's really glad that I had opted to do a repeat C-section. He said that my uterine wall where they made the incision with Maddie's birth was so thin that it would have ruptured during the final pushing stages of labor. He also said that if I would have done a V-bac that the baby would have been in even more trouble because of the cord around his neck. So it seems that I was extremely blessed in making that decision.
The problems didn't stop there unfortunately. On Wednesday morning they came to my room and told me that they needed to take the baby to the nursery to be placed under the bilirubin lights, since all the bruising from his birth had taken his levels so high. He needed the top and bottom lights, so he couldn't be in my room with me any longer. It was awful! Without having Max with me, I had really nothing to do. My room had an old TV in it with only a VCR and the TV only had one stinkin channel! All I really wanted to do was go home with my baby.
On Thursday we were supposed to be discharged. My nurse came in that morning and told me that I needed to prepair myself, because they probably weren't going to let Max come home with me. She said that he's lost too much weight and he was dehydrated. He had not had any wet or dirty diapers in over a day. I was furious at them because it was the lights that were dehydrating him and they were horrible about bringing him out so I could feed him. I would have to page and page them before I could get them to let me have him to feed him.
I called Jeff in hysterics and told him what was going on. He came right up to the hospital and arrived when the on call pediatrician was there checking him out. She told him that they were not going to let him leave that day. She said that his Bilirubin levels had dropped, but that he'd just lost too much weight and they didn't want him to leave until he started putting it back on. Jeff let her have it and they eventually agreed to let him come home as long as we got the ok from our own pediatrician and promised to have him evaluate him that day. So we finally got to go home.
Since then, things have been a little crazy. I've been super stressed about producing enough milk, since my breast feeding experience with Maddie was awful. He is still really slow at putting on weight and he sleeps ALL THE TIME. It's a real struggle to get him to wake up to eat. He rarely cries, so we don't even know if he's hungry or not, so I have to make sure that he's awake and eating at least every 3 hours. By the time we are done, it's almost already time to start all over again. It's been hard.
Maddie is loving her little brother to death. But she is for sure having a hard time not having all the attention to herself.
Life is crazy. But I really can't complain (even though I do). I have two of the most beautiful babies and I really do feel truly blessed.
The night before
Right before the surgery. They made me drink a little cup of the most awful tasting liquid.
Look at his color. Sad :(
First time holding my baby.
Madison, meet Maxton.
Still drugged and extremely tired.
Our new family :)
3 comments:
CONGRATS!!! I'm so glad to hear the story, and "meet" Max! Sounds like quite the experience; I'm so thankful it all ended up ok~ what an amazing blessing! Enjoy him
I'm so glad everything turned out ok in the end, but so sorry it was scary for a while there. You make pretty babies, Keri! Congratulations.
Who took the bottom picture? I was looking for a family pic on the camera you returned but I had no luck. You are all so cute!
Post a Comment