Friday, November 5, 2010

Lacking sleep


I love being a parent. But one thing I don't like about being a parent to a baby/toddler, is that just when you think you've got a good sleep routine set in motion, something happens and blows it right out of the water. It's been like this from day one. Kids just do too much darn growing during their first 5 years of life. Getting teeth, growing pains, daylight savings, sicknesses, if it's not one thing it's another throwing their sleep off the groove. Oh wait... and mine too. Here I am, a 3 mere days away from giving birth, and Maddie decides that instead of waking up at 7:00AM, that it's much more fun to wake up at 1:30/2:00 AM. We've dealt with this for the last... oh 4 nights now. The first 2 nights she either came to our room and fell back to sleep or I'll lay in her bed with her for a minute and she falls back asleep, and I can handle that. But the last 2 nights, she's decided that she's up for the long haul. She's happy, alert and wants to talk your ear off. She wants to eat, drink, watch a movie, you name it, she asks for it. It's not so cute at 2:00AM.
We have 3 options. #1- Lay in her bed (which is not very comfortable for my pregnant body) telling her over and over that she can't have any of those things and to be quiet and to go to sleep. #2 Let her bawl it out in her room screaming that she's scared all night (because she does). or #3 Let her come in to our bed where I am much more comfortable, but pretty much the same story as #1. The thing that all 3 options have in common is that no matter which one you choose, you still get zero sleep. And lets face it... I could really use a little sleep right now. And getting the couple hours before she wakes up and the 6:00 to 8:00 AM that she usually falls back to sleep, is not quite what I have in mind. Plus it doesn't help that good sleep is hard to come by when I'm up every half hour for bathroom breaks. Yes I know. I don't have a very good attitude, do I.
Do all kids do this to their parents, or is ours just really special? I'm thinking that it can't be just ours. It's gotta be a kid thing, right?
Well, whatever it is, I hope she out grows it very very quickly. Until then... I guess I'll just look forward to spending 3 nights in the hospital with nurses coming in every half hours to check on me. Hmmmm.. which will be better? ;-)
Only 3 days away now. Crazy!!!

P.S. Don't worry, I don't make her sleep in a laundry basket. Man that WOULD be uncomfortable. 

3 comments:

Jess said...

I remember that stage- Em got in my bed, and it's taken 6 years to get her out! Good luck with figuring that one out.

p.s. yes I do have a trick to get whatever stain out. It takes a white towel, a spray bottle and an iron. Get the spot damp, put the white towel over it, and then the hot iron pulls the stain into the towel and off of your floor or mattress or whatever. call me if you need better instructions

Vickie said...

The answer is...my kids all did that until they were 4 years old. Then they started coughing all night, then staying out all night. It ends when they get married!

Em said...

just when you figure them out, THEY CHANGE. so exhausting.