Yesterday WAS NOT a good day. First off, let me just tell you that I'm not quitting. Just slowing down the pace a little bit. The cold turkey effect did not work well for us. From everything I've read online the last two days, Maddie is right on the border of being ready for all this. There are a couple vital things that she is not doing that she should be to do what we did. Like for example... she should be able to go more than 10 minutes with a dry diaper. She can't. She seriously pees about every 10-20 minutes. And that is A LOT of sitting on the potty time. So every time she goes it's just a few little drips. Doesn't get you very far.
I think I pushed a little too hard. With having her sit on the potty every 15-20 minutes and making her sit there until she had gone a little, she very soon learned to hate it. And I mean, terrible tantrum. Screaming, hitting, making her body not bend to sit. By the end of the day she would literally stand in front of the potty and look at me and pee right on the floor. Just to let me know that she had to go, but she wasn't going to do it my way. She would sit on the chair for 40 minutes and wet herself the moment she got off. Everything I've read says that you need to make it a positive experience and it WAS NOT POSITIVE. By 4:00 I was crying calling Jeff saying that I was giving up, and that she was acting like a little devil from hell. I don't think he really believed me. But she gave him a full dose of what my day was like when he got home from work. Seriously, I think that if we would have looked hard enough, we probably would have found horns on her. After only a couple of hours with her, Jeff was apologizing to me for the day I had to endure.
So I'm not quitting. Just taking a few steps back. I'm not going to push her. I am letting her wear her diaper again and I'm making her sit on the potty every hour. But for only 3 to 4 minutes. I know it will take longer this way, but the other way was not going to work for us. She just doesn't have the personality that you can force in to things. She has to decide when she does something that she's doing it for herself.
It's nice to hear people's opinions and the tricks they've used, but I've realized that I know my child the best and I need to go with my gut instinct on this. We'll just have to play around a little to find a good system that works for us.
2 comments:
So sorry- that's the worst! I'll bet once she makes up her mind to do it she'll be trained in no time.
Sorry your days was so rough! Best wishes on positive progress with her. :o) (hope my last comment was not offensive in any way - it surely was meant to be supportive!) Best wishes! :o)
Post a Comment