Thursday, October 23, 2008

The lights are on... But nobodys home

I was told by a Sales Rep that I work with that pregnant women actually get dumber during their pregnancy's. He told me that we lose brain cells growing our babies. At the time I thought it was a bit of a rude thing to say, but now I'm actually starting to believe that it may be true. At least in my case anyway. I know it's not a really nice thing to say about myself, but I feel that I am actually dumber then I used to be. My memory is GONE. I lose things ALL THE TIME. Jeffrey gets so frustrated with me. Today I spent a half hour looking for my car keys so that I could go to Jeff's grandparents house for lunch and I finally found them at the time I was supposed to BE there. I had to call Jeff to ask him if he knew where they were even though I knew I had them last. I HATE having to call him to tell him that lost something because I always get a lecture from him about how I am so un-organized and I need to start paying more attention to what I do. And of course after I get the lecture and hang up the phone, I always seem to find what I'm looking for. Can't I find something BEFORE I call him??
On another note.... I have become notoriously famous for leaving lights on all over the house. I NEVER used to do this. I don't know why but I can't seem to exit a room and remember to flip that little switch before. I mean, It's not like I have to cross the room to do it. It's RIGHT THERE! And I just walk right on by. So when Jeffrey comes home from School every night this is our first conversation.
Me: Hi Honey
Him: Hi, Why are the basement lights on?
Me: Because I was down there on the computer.
Him: Are you down there NOW?
Me: Duuuuh...
Him: Then why Are the lights still on?
Get the point? This happens in every room. Some nights I swear I have every light on in the house. I was not raised like this. My dad was a stickler for leaving lights on.
I tell you, my brain is fried!
So if I tell you I'll call you and I don't. Or I don't show up for one thing or another. Please know that I DO NOT intentionally do this. I honestly forget. So I apologize to each one of you that thinks I'm a total flake. I deserve the title. But I think that dumb dumb may be a little more fitting.

2 comments:

Lisa R said...

I'm right there with you! Only double now that I have 2 kids!

Em said...

oh my goodness, the oprah show JUST did a segment on this! i'm pretty sure they said you don't lose brain cells, but they did say that a pregnant woman's brain actually does shrink. it grows back to its normal size after the baby is born. nursing helps with that actually! amazing how the body works. anyway, it's all related to memory and it really is all chemical. we have no control over it! so crazy. i also remember them saying that the reason the memory is affected is b/c the brain needs omega 3 fatty acids to renourish and grow back so during and of course after pregnancy it's super important to load up on omega 3 foods. guess i should make more fish huh?