Sunday, March 21, 2010

Horse Sense


Horse sense. Some people have it, some don't. Ok, sorry to say, but the majority of the population don't have it.
I'm not blaming if you don't have it. But I wanted to let loose on a huge pet peeve of mine.
Yesterday I went riding down in Draper. My parents live on the valley floor of Draper, about 1/2 a mile from what USED to be the foot hills. Growing up, those foot hills and Corner Canyon were my stomping grounds. Both are now backyards to ridicules sized houses. That's a story for another day. Anyway, to get straight to it, I've always had to ride on the roads to get to anywhere. Back in the day, it was not too scary of experience. Back in the OLD Draper, you either had horses, or your neighbor did, so most people were somewhat aware of what was going on. People were generally pretty polite if driving past you or if you happened to be riding past a house and someone was working in their yard on something that may be labeled "Loud and scary sounding". So, like I said... it was a mostly pleasant experience.
Well, let me tell you what... Things have changed!!!! And I found out yesterday... people have no courtesy for people on horse back what-so-ever!
Let me just tell you one thing first. A horse WILL jump in front of your car if scared. I know, because I've had many a close calls growing up. The difference between now and then, is that people actually noticed you, slowed down and gave you a chance to live back then. You see, some people don't seem to realize that when you are on top of a horse, no matter what you'd like to believe, that horse in generally in control. They are very large and smart animals. In most cases that horse is listening to what you (the rider) is telling it what to do. But in an instant that horse may become scared or feel threatened, and you are suddenly forgotten and all they can think about is getting away from whatever may be scary to them. Sometimes that may end you up smack dab in front of that car approaching at 50 miles an hour in a 35 MPH zone. Not saying that this happened to me yesterday, but I am saying that it could have.
I understand that the roads are to drive on and that you have every right to be on them. But I have the same right to be on the side of them as a biker, jogger or any other pedestrian. So all I'm asking for is a little respect. Please DON'T honk your horn because "Wow, there's a horse!!" or rev your loud engine a little louder because it might be funny to scare that poor animal. Because my life is in the hands of that poor animal! And let me tell you something else... If my horse jumps in front of your car and you are going to fast that you can't slow down or swerve... YOU are responsible for hitting me.
I know a guy that was hit on his horse a few years ago by a irresponsible driver. He got a LOT of money out of that accident!
I'm lucky to say that yesterday I was on a somewhat level headed horse and she didn't try to get me hit by a car, but I'm appalled that so many  people could be so stupid driving past me.
Not saying that you readers are any of those people. But I wanted to bring it to your attention if you ever happen to drive past a horse back rider on the road. Please follow these simple procedures:

1) NEVER honk
2) Slow down!
3) Give that horse and rider as much room as possible. If it's not possible, just make sure you don't zoom past and scare that poor animal.
5) Put yourself in that riders situation. They most likely don't want to be on the road, it's just the only way to get to their destination if they are not privileged to have a trailer, so just give them the same courtesy that you'd want for yourself.

Please help make our roads safer for horses!
Ok, rant over.

5 comments:

Jess said...

Stupid drivers are lame!

Seriously it's common sense not to startle any animal, but especially a large one that could easily squash a small car.

Glad you, and your horse are ok!

Anonymous said...

Amen

Alex said...

Here Here!

Kailey said...

You mean you didn't like it when I pretended I was going to run into you with my horn honking? Geez!
LoL... I don't have horse sense (as you know), but I still have enough COMMON sense not to do that.

Lisa R said...

I agree Keri! Hence why I just don't ride on the roads anymore, at all. I just don't think the risk is worth it. Of course if that was my only choice I would probably think differently, but after all those years with Kira and traffic and almost dying, I just don't have the stomach for it with Duck.