This Wednesday I got my top braces on. I'm 28 years old and finally getting braces. Seems to work like that it my family. I'll be getting the bottoms on in April. Something about having to widen the arch in my mouth to be able to get them to straighten right.
Since I grew up in a large family, things like braces weren't really afforded. When I was 18 years old, I decided that I wanted braces really bad and went to an orthodontist to get a consult. I was informed that because I hadn't gotten them soon enough as a kid, that my jaw developed wrong and I have what is called an Underdeveloped Jaw. In order for me to ever have straight teeth, I would need multiple surgeries over the course of at least three years. He told me that I had to have my jaw broken, my under jaw shaved down to fit back on to my upper jaw. Then so I didn't look weird, I'd need to have my chin basically shaved up and have a chin implant and then also I would need cheek implants to make my face more balanced. The whole process took it way out of the orthodontics zone and right into the cosmetic surgery zone. Which, I'm sure you know... is NOT covered one bit by insurance. After hearing the $30,000 price tag that came along with getting straight teeth, I decided to bag it. Straight teeth were not that important to me.
Here's the kicker though.. The Dr told me that if I were to have all this stuff done, that I would finally be beautiful. Geez, thanks for the complement!
My mom thought that I'd really let it effect me since I've always had a fairly low self image of myself. But it really didn't bother me. Yes I wanted straight teeth, but I wasn't willing to go through all that for it. And I knew that boys liked me, so I must not be too bad right?...
So here we are, ten years later and my dear husband and my dentist kept telling me that I should have another consult. I REALLY didn't want to go through all that again, but I finally relented and made an appointment with my older sister's Orthodontist (who may I add is AWESOME!!!). I went to him and he got so excited because he could help me without busting up my entire face AND charging me $30,000!!. Apparently technology has changed a lot in the last 10 years. So here I am now... A metal mouth... And so excited to be. Though I do look extremely dorky. And eating is not too enjoyable anymore.
It's only been 2 days, and I'm already counting down days until I get them off and can have pretty straight teeth!
3 comments:
You are too funny! I know how you feel, kind of... I just got my braces off last summer. For a year I totally felt like a complete dork! Dont worry though when they are off you will love it! Good Luck
I know how you feel Keri :) I got my braces when I was 19. I finally had a job and could pay for them myself. No insurance either, good thing I had a cool DDS with a payment plan :) Anyway, it does take time to adjust but before you know you'll forget they are there. If you like gum, I found that Trident sugarless was pretty good. It didn't stick to my braces. I LOVE gum :) I could not give it up. You will love how everything is when it's over. I had a pretty low self-esteem and would hardly ever smile because I didn't want people to see my teeth. My teeth have moved a little over the last 18 yrs but now I smile :) Have fun and remember to use your wax.
Keri you go girl! I had to have my jaw widened with a jaw widener thingy for almost a year before I ever got my braces. Fun stuff, eh?
I am sure the braces aren't as bad as they seem! And you'll get used to them. And then when you finally DO get them off your teeth will feel super slimy for awhile! LOL That should give you something to look forward to! :)
Post a Comment